JUNE 20th CHALLENGES
8AM Wednesday – 8AM Thursday | Something Wicked This Way Comes… “A wildfire is quickly coming your way! What thing/s do you grab when you only have a few minutes to make it out?”(I’ve saved any people or pets in there already!)
from Rebecca @ Kindle Fever
As an Alaskan Wildfire survivor, and as you know I survived the Wicked’ness of Winter up here also, I am always prepared. We give ourselves under five minutes to get out the door. We live in the land where the fires never stop burning, even in the winter (read this if you are interested). I live in the Interior and have been driven out, much like the Texans late last year and Californians are yearly. People think we live in snow and ice, but what they do not realize is the fires burn even in the deadest of winters due to this phenomena. At any rate to answer the above:
I am always prepared, be it the Ice or the Fire, we are ready to go at a moments notice. I always leave my purse by the door and before settling in I refill my 32 oz Nalgene H2O bottle, and replenish any snacks I have ate.
IN MY PURSE
- Large Cosmetic bag where I have:
- 2 weeks of medication
- Small first aid kit (band-aids, alcohol packs, Neosporin, Tylenol, Benadryl (I keep the small packets you get at gas stations), 2 epi pens (I have another in the outside pocket of my purse just in case, bee allergies) butterfly bandages and a purse sized pack of unopened tissue.
- Laminated inside (and I do make sure it is up to date)
- BOTH our NAMES under a small photo
b. Date of Birth
c. Our Blood Types
d. my allergy to codeine and bees.
e. Geoff’s allergy to asparagus (hey it could come up
f. dates of our medical surgeries, plus the location of my steel rods and pins. G
g. our medical conditions (thankfully short) with medication needed & amounts
h. immediate family/emergency contact info (home, cell & work of three each)
i. Our primary care doctor and insurance info
- 3 screw-top Glad snack carrier I have trail mix for any low blood sugar crashes, salt free peanuts and dried apricots.
- Small tool kit plus a Über Swiss Army Knife, a liner lock knife (always ready for zombies and predators), a multi-tip screw drive, a church key, a spare copy of all essential keys w/a bottle opener attached in another cosmetic bag (all Hail the Mighty Miller Vera Bradly Bag)
- Obviously my wallet which ALWAYS has an (undisclosed $ amount) for emergencies, Geoff carries one too. It also has all updated bank, insurance cards, laminated emergency info (we each carry our own), three forms of ID
- Glow sticks
OUR “I LOVE US BOOK”
- Contains all our legal paperwork, insurance info, cat vaccination and all veterinary info for her, extra passport photos, copies of our birth certificates, car paperwork (insurance, title, service info, etc), ALL our medical info in detail etc. ALL in page protectors in a three ring binder and organized. I was a military wife for 15 years I know how to be prepared for travel internationally. Plus Geoff’s passport.
MY LAPTOP with case (which I store all my memory sticks and my point and shoot camera
MY DIGITAL SLR
MY EXTERNAL HD: With 29 years worth of negatives scanned, all digital images from the last 10 years, our tax info and other important info I store electronically.
One nice thing about living in a cabin
, all that stuff is in one place, we can get out the door fast. And since we lived through this before, our car has 2 weeks of MRE’s and a 5-day supply of emergency supplies (such as enough water, unsalted crackers, dry rations and high protein low salt or salt free canned food. In 3 milk crates and a bottle of iodine (this was a joke thrown in after watching Jericho
4PM Wednesday – 4PM Thursday | Slake Your Thirst
from Kimberly @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer Share your favorite drink recipe* and the cover of your favorite/most anticipated summer read!
Southern Sweet Tea
- 12 regular tea bags
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 -4 cups sugar
- 12 cups cold water
- In a large glass measuring cup, place the tea bags and add the baking soda.(the amount of baking soda is the same whether it is a half gallon or a full gallon)
- Pour the boiling water over the tea bags.
- Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Take out the tea bags and do not squeeze them
- Pour the tea mixture into a gallon pitcher and add the sugar.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add in the cold water.
- Let cool; chill in the refrigerator and serve over ice. (add mint leaves and lemon wedges)
I am a HUGE James Rollins
fan, I HEART him so much! I found out one of my friends here online actually knows him and is trying to get him to be part of a tour and if he does it she promised I can have a spot! He is attentive to his fans. He has friended me on Twitter, he actually has answered me on a Facebook post I did with a review on the last book. I HEART this author! I am such a fan girl and I LOVE all his books
JUNE 21st CHALLENGES
8AM Thursday – 8AM Friday | Cover Lover
With the woods CATCHING FIRE around the cabin on SOLSTICE this year, we were lucky to make it to the BEACH HOUSE before the RISING SUN rose and we felt the HEAT WAVE of our Alaskan summer continue.
JUNE 22nd CHALLENGES
8AM Friday – 8AM Saturday | Sonnets & Songs
4PM Friday – 4PM Saturday | Beach Soiree
A NIGHT OUT OF TIME
A Sonnet to my Beach Soiree date, Luke from “Dark Isle” by Shannon Mayer
Shall I seek thee heat of a wicked dance?
While the song of fire crackles at thine back?
These winds make haste the wildness of my heart
Magic wraps in close as we reach the beach
Your hand seeks mine grasps its possession strong
Smoke and Flame release our space giving way
Mine sweet love embrace thee smoldering heat
Sweat glistens Smile bright golden chest with might
But alas your heart is not yours to give
Ancient prophets, ancient race, your soul to live
Be mine tonight tomorrow hers sweet Luke
Embrace mine gift, for this dance will be thine
The sun in hiding; the wildfire at bay
The heat of hearts for just one day of mine.
MY EXAMPLE FOR THE 4 PM CHALLEGE (my own Beach Soiree) Can be found HERE! I hope you joined in!
JUNE 23rd CHALLENGES
8AM Saturday – 8AM Sunday | Mix ‘n Match
Benji @ The Non Reluctant Reader
Wicked Wildfire Readathon Challenge: Match the Quote!
Hey guys! For today’s morning challenge, it’s Match the quote! Directions:
- Below there are are five quotes and five covers!
- Match the covers with the quotes, each quote you match correctly is one entry to win a book from The Book Depository!
- Fill out the form with the correct titles!
- The form will be active for 24 hours!
“You love me. Real or not real?”
I tell him, “Real.”
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
“I’m sure I’ll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.”
JUNE 23rd CHALLENGES
Midnight Saturday – Midnight Sunday | Wicked Summer Scorcher | April @ My Shelf Confessions
This may offend but I would throw on my burka with my wrap around Oakleys pull on my awesome boots, even if it is hot out at least these are pull ons and I can run in them and I may need them for other things, pull on my driving gloves and pull up the burka over nose. My three things would be my hope chest, my jewelry box, my cell phone.
AND I AM DONE.. woosh, I still have 10 more hours for the Blogathon2 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH