Mama’s Kitchen Mondays – The Secret to #Bacon Salt
Happy Memorial Day
This is for my daughter and my readers who keep asking me for recipes and since I have slacked, a lot I decided to start posting a recipe a week (at least) on Mondays for her and all of you! I have a few requests but I decided to start with the basics.
It is memorial day, you can whip this up just in time to grill plus, since BBQ season is coming up we all need seasonings. Salt and pepper are great, but what about adding a bit of pizzaz to it? #Bacon Salt can be bought all over, but it is easier to make. Plus you can adjust it to your own tastes. I make it really thick with bacon and I also make it just right for potatoes, steak and great for a rub for your chicken and roast pork. It is also great on homemade grits, home-fries, and even popcorn!
Cabin Goddess Homemade #Bacon Salt!
Close-up of black peppercorns (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- 6-8 slices of bacon
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground peppercorns (I coarsely grind these in my mortar and pestle and do not overflow the measuring spoon)
Some chicken, pork and corn in the barbeque (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay your bacon out in single strips over a cookie rack and put that in a baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bacon is crisp and starting to blacken (in other words perfect in my mind, but some do not like it
- Once the bacon has cooled, dab the excess oil off of it with a paper towel
- Transfer the bacon to a food processor and process until there are only small chunks and a slight paste begins to form.
- Add in the sea salt and ground pepper(you have to grind the peppercorns ahead of time. I poo-pooed this and almost broke my mini-processor. So I use a mortar and pestle).
- Continue to process until the salt breaks up into smaller pieces and mixes with the bacon.
- Transfer to an airtight jar and keep in the refrigerator when not using.
HOW ABOUT SOMETHING DIFFERENT?
Do you bake cookies? Cupcakes? Try this recipe without the pepper and keep the bacon in, and use this as your salt for your chocolate chip cookies and brownie mix. Savory is right. Bacon Salt is lovely!
Quick tip: A pierced potato will microwave in midrange watt in 10 minutes. If you want a crispy skin, throw it under the broiler after brushing it with a little butter and bacon salt!
What do you want to see next week? Amanda? My faithful readers?
What would you put #bacon salt on?
Since I don’t want people to have a heart attack, this is what I have read and review and am reading this week: