V is for – VICTORY IS MINE & W for WINNER! (& RECIPE!!) #atozchallenge
YES! I Freaking made it!! Brian, you can KISS MY ASS, not just the proverbial one, but my real one! I made it, I do not know how I did it, I lost track and stopped counting. In between working for my authors, blogging the #atozchallenge posts, having a meltdown and my brain exploding etc.. etc.. *insert primal scream**
This last November I was waking up trying to figure out how I was going to make it and also finish my hourly work for my client and do the blog and……and! *more primal screaming* I still have issues with project management but because I was able to set a smaller word-count goal for the Camp NaNo, I managed to not only write 20K, my own goal, but I managed to write 31K. I updated 21,498 on the 25th and my other document has over 10K of disjointed pieces are not placed yet into the novella. Because I decided to create a piece doing flashbacks it is a bit of a mess *headdeask* I need to work on this a lot in the next few months.
Yes, I can see and hear you all sitting there going, “FLASHBACKS? Kriss, you dipshit!!” and some of you are going “Ohh honey, you are a masochist!!” * whistling*
Yes I am a masochist, we have established this several times over! Perhaps it is because I know somewhere in my crazed lunatic mind there is a tiny girl full of spunk and self-assurance that has embraced the chant “you can do it” believes she can. Because I keep picking the “expert” jobs before mastering the “beginner” jobs. Meh, I am OK with this. I will finish it one day, not tomorrow and maybe not this year, but I will finish it.. for now… it sits in DARKNESS…
Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner
Geoff and I battled the plague in March and I discovered the joys of black rice, which is uber awesome tasting and apparently is better than brown rice for you. It is chock full of antioxidants. Festively enough it is also known as “Forbidden Rice,” since in ancient China it was reserved for the emperor and nobles, and commoners were prohibited from eating it. Well you know I was sold right there, since I am SO not a commoner! I am a GODDESS! Anyway, this has become something we make all the time now, because it is easy, if I forget it is stewing on the stove it is fine and tastes even better, Geoff has a foodgasms–as in multiples and it is just cool!
Starving Authors Curried Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1/2 chicken boob
- 2 tsp yellow Curry
- 1 cup Non-Dairy Creamer or LiteCoconut Milk (depends on what you have in your cupboard, diet your own or how broke you are)
- 1 small onion
- 1 small Yukon gold potato
- 1 small carrot
- minced garlic to taste (yes even I can afford garlic)
- lime juice, orange juice, some citrus juice or something to marinate it in.
- 1/2 cup black rice
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 6 cups Veggie and/or Chicken Stock (I say and or because frankly it is again based on what you have. I like it both ways. Sometimes I do not want it as heavy. Sometimes I do, and the black rice LOVES chicken stock!)
- Cook the rice like you would any other time minus . Yes you just make a batch of rice. Now since you have both black and brown the best way to balance this out is 1:4 so 1/4 cup black to 3/4 brown rice. I cook it in broth/stock with 1/2 of curry, garlic powder, onion powder, a touch of salt to taste. (follow directions on the packages since each brand of rice has it’s own. I do rinse my rice once just in case, but you will fall in love with the black rice! You are going to probably use 2 cups of the broth/stock)
- While rice is cooking chop the chicken breast in small pieces and soak in lime juice (or whatever juice you have if any. If you don’t have anything marinate it in something, I even use salad dressing packs left over from a drive-through salad. I ask for extras when I get one, this is a good starving author trick), cube your onion, potatoes, carrot and any other veggies, but try to keep it under five and ones which go with curry. You can add shrimp too, yummeh! I have thrown in fresh peas when I have them (or the ones I freeze in the summer which I horde for the winter)
- OK now you get to be a fluffer (Yes, you get to fluff the rice, I am all about the Food Porn here) Add your vegetables and remaining broth/stock to said rice now standing at attention, and get ready to heat your meat… err chicken.
- Heat a small frying man to medium high and add 2 tsp of olive oil till you can get a splash of spit to sizzle.. Oh don’t give me that, like you have never done it.. OK, just kidding, till a splash of pure lime juice sizzles like the flesh of a virgin as you sacrifice her to a the gods of NaNoWhineMo. Add the garlic and chicken trying not to give yourself third degree burns and cook it thoroughly.
- Add the chicken and heat till the fluid is at a low boil, turn to med low (about 1/3 flame) and stir occasionally to prevent burning for 30 minutes. (Do a writing sprint!!)
- Add non-dairy creamer or your coconut milk. and turn down a smidgen more. I started doing 10-minute writing sprints here and cooked till the potatoes were just right this way I did not burn anything!
** HUGE TIP, if you want it to stay soup, that is if you have left overs because the above is for two people, strain the soup and save it in separate container because otherwise you will have a lovely stuffing like casserole or rice pudding like consistency.
SO you guys have FOUR MORE DAYS…
Anyone ready to turn it in? Anyone still driving forward? Anyone need a bottle to drown your sorrows in?? Camp NaNoWriMo!! Are you going to be at the Talent Show? I am practicing my Stairway to Heaven rendition in soup bowls, so stoked!! Now that I finished early I will have more time to perfect my 17 minute show!
This is where I plan to be this summer.. outside.. writing the next Great American Horror Novel! *GRIN*