Firefly by Piers Anthony (The Indie Exchange Read-ALong)
Chapter 1 – 14 (approximately 25% of the Book)
by Piers Anthony
The inhabitants of a remote estate in Florida’s savannah country fall under the spell of a horrible predator who inflames and perverts their sexual desires, leading to a series of bizarre and deadly encounters.
This month a few of us from The Indie Exchange have gotten together to read a very unusual book from Piers Anthony. As the title says it is “A Novel of Esoteric Horror”. It is also a novel which has become one of great controversy for many Anthony fans. Personally it is one of my favorite books of his. I told my friends, if they can through the first five chapters, they were golden.
This week we have held a running commentary as we read the first 25% of the book over on The Indie Exchange Community Fan Page. For the next four weeks we will be hosting the discussion on Cabin Goddess and Alchemy of Scrawl each Thursday as well as an active discussion on the Fan Page. If you have the book or can find it at the library, please join in! I promise it is going to be one interesting, and definitely adult rated discussion!
I am going to ask a few questions we brought out in our discussions and also a few that came up as I read. If you choose to read a long just let us all know what number you are answering!
- What do you think about the cover? (This is a representation of an upper middle class home on a wildlife preserve in Florida.)
- Who is your favorite character so far? Why?
- What was the most disturbing thing so far and did it take away from the story?
- Are you enjoying plot development? Where do you think Piers is going with the story?
- What do you think of Middlebury and how he “handles” people? Is he helping them for his purposes or is he really helping them?
- How does this compare to some of the indie horrors you have read over the last few years?