Zombies Zombies EVERYWHERE even in your dessert!! Shannon Mayer Shares
Zombies, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways . . .
By Shannon Mayer author of Sundered, a Zombie-ish Series
- BEST video games ever are all about the zombies. Now I’m not going to list them but I will give you a link if you want to go and scan through a bunch, I mean like PAGES. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_video_games On a more personal note, my favorites are Resident Evil 4 and *drumroll* . Plants Vs Zombies ;p
- Your grossness comes in a plenitude of varieties which for any good zombie-ite is necessary—rotting skin, slimy fingers, puking blood, sagging flesh, eating brains, slurping intestines, heads twisted the wrong way, limbs twisted the wrong way, eyeballs hanging out, eyeballs missing, flapping tongues (eek that’s one that always gives me the shivers), and last but not least nasty breath. Okay, maybe that last one is a guess, but you have to admit it’s highly likely.
- Zombie speeds can vary greatly and that makes them freaky. One minute they’re shambling along and you can easily outrun them, the next they’re faster than the fat kid diving after the bowl of candy. I personally love a fast zombie, far scarier, far more likely to eat those horrid neighbours that play loud music all night and shoot fireworks at your animals. Not that I have any personal experience with this. I’m just saying.
- It doesn’t matter how many zombie movies are done, they just don’t lose their appeal. I mean, even if the movie is HORRIBLY done (now admit it, there are a few of those) we still watch it. So while we might jeer and throw popcorn, we can’t stay away. Must. Watch.Zombies.
And if that was not just the coolest post ever, Shannon shares her mothers recipe! Can you say NOM!??
Basic Cookie Dough recipe for Lady or Zombie fingers
- Serves: Can make 24-48 cookies depending upon finger size
- Prep Time: 30 minutes making dough, refrigerate 2-24 hrs, shape 30 minutes, bake at 350*11-15 minutes
- Total Time: varies, about an hour of actual work.
You have a few options! Here is a basic sugar cookie recipe, you can use pretty much any cookie recipe you want though!The best doughs for Severed Lady Finger Cookies are Sugar Cookie, Gingerbread cookie, spice cookies, some peanut butter cookie recipes work well or any “cutout cookies
“.If it is a recipe that does not hold it’s shape, just add a little extra flour and use the tin foil technique (see below) BUT if you are really busy you could try using a premixed, refrigerated sugar cookie dough! You can just knead in a little bit of extra flour to keep it from spreading sideways too much!I rarely ever share recipes as I have always been one of those cooks who does not measure exactly and I tend to wing it based upon how it smells or (if safe to taste) how it tastes. I hope that the way I describe it is not too confusing!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks cold butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- sliced almonds
- food coloring
- coco powder or chunks of chocolate- crumbled oreos works as well for “dirt”
Cut the butter into small pieces (less than 1/2 inch). Use an electric mixer or stand mixer to soften the butter on low to medium.Slowly add the sugar and the vanilla, then add the other ingredients while mixing. Increase to medium or high speed.Keep mixing until the dough is well blended and sticky.Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.When it is time to shape the cookies, leave 1/2 of the dough in the fridge while you work to keep it nice and firm until you are ready for it!
Roll the dough into the shape of a finger then add an almond to the tip of each finger for the fingernail.
Gently brush some red food colouring on the stumpy ends of your fingers
You can add a small sliver of almond to the stumpy end to make it look like bone for increased creepy factor. Now is the time to add any other “injuries” to your fingers for even more effect.
Now bake those babies up and you are ready to go!
Shannon Mayer is the author of “Sundered, A Zombie-ish Apocalypse” Her Zombies are fast, hunt in packs like wolves and came about by way of a weight loss shot gone very, very wrong. Throw in some good old fashioned love and you’ve got yourself a new twist on the Zombie trope.